Have you become used to throwing nail strengtheners and anti-fungal treatments into your shopping cart over the years? Many patients develop the habit of treating their â€œminorâ€ foot conditions at home, only to keep suffering from pain and irritation year after year. But what many people donâ€™t know is that a podiatrist can break the cycle of at-home treatments for skin and toenail problems—and the solution often begins with a single visit.
We Can Keep Your Feet Healthy Inside and Out
At Advanced Foot & Ankle Wellness Center, we can help provide immediate and long-lasting solutions for your foot skin and nail condition, including:
- Fungal toenail treatments. Yellowed, thickening, or crumbling toenails could be a sign of fungal infection, a stubborn condition that is difficult to treat at home. We offer many different types of treatment for patients suffering fungal toenails, including oral and topical anti-fungal medications and laser treatments. If your condition is advanced or is causing you pain, we can remove part or all of the fungal nail to stop the spread of infection. Lastly, we provide comprehensive patient education to stop your condition from coming back.
- Skin biopsies. If your condition is not healing properly, we can perform a skin biopsy to determine why your treatment is not healing properly. Biopsies can be used to diagnose skin and nail disorders such as fungal infections, but can also identify underlying diseases that are causing foot symptoms. They can also help diagnose cancerous lesions on the feet, helping patients get lifesaving early cancer treatment.
- Plantar wart removal. Plantar warts are hard growths on the balls of the feet or beneath the heel, and may appear to be patching of gray or flaking skin. As the condition progresses, a callus may form over the surface of the plantar warts, making them more difficult to treat. We can perform cryotherapy, laser treatments, or minor surgery to correct the problem, and discuss preventive measures to stop the warts from recurring.
- Athlete’s foot correction. While it is often considered a minor infection, athlete’s foot can still cause irritating symptoms and will often come back after successful treatment. Our treatment methods for athleteâ€™s foot include ridding you of your infection, but also to prevent further outbreaks by counseling you on proper preventive measures, such as advising you on shoe choices and avoiding risk factors.
- Ingrown toenail relief. Feet that are confined in tight shoes may develop ingrown toenails, a condition where the sides of the nail burrow into skin of the toe. At first, the condition may cause pain or redness, but if left untreated, an ingrown toenail can become swollen or infected. Minor ingrowing may be treated by lifting the nail off of the nail bed, allowing it to grow properly. If the condition is advanced, patients may need partial or complete removal of the nail, and will often need shoes with wide toe boxes to promote healthy nail growth.
We Treat Your Condition Once to Keep You Healthy for Life
At Advanced Foot & Ankle Wellness Center, we know that chronic skin and nail problems often come back because patients are not properly educated about their conditions. Podiatrist Melissa Wawrzynek believes that treating a condition effectively means curing the condition and preventing it from recurring, allowing patients in our offices to be treated once to receive a solution that can last the rest of their lives.
Find out how good it feels to live pain-free! Call (610) 822-3900 to make an appointment with Advanced Foot & Ankle Wellness Center today.